1911-1916 Frank Spellman attends North American College in Rome and is introduced to stamp collecting by fellow seminarian from the Boston area, Laurence Killian.
1932-39 Spellman serves as Auxiliary Bishop of Boston and pastor of Sacred Heart Parish, Newton Center, Massachusetts. He and Fr. Killian, who is serving in a nearby parish, pursue their stamp collecting interests.
1938 After traveling in South America Bishop Spellman returns to Newton Center with the stamps from 12 countries. S. Fidelma Conway, CSJ, who teaches in the parish school, is asked to be the caretaker of the collection.
1939 Bishop Spellman becomes Archbishop of New York and leaves his stamp collection with S. Fidelma Conway.
1948 Cardinal Spellman donates his stamp collection to the Congregation of
the Sisters of St. Joseph of Boston in tribute to his aunt, S. Mary Philomena, who had been a member
of the Congregation for 54 years.
The National Philatelic Museum opens in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, as a not-for-profit organization with
a regular schedule of exhibitions and publications, a philatelic library, and courses to advance the study
of stamp collection offered through the Philatelic Institute in conjunction with Temple University.
1954 Cardinal Spellman exhibits his collections of Vatican City, "America the Beautiful,"
and Poetry and Stamps at the National Philatelic Museum.
1955 S. Fidelma Conway resigns from teaching and moves Cardinal Spellman's stamp collection to the Spellman Room in the new Regis College Library in Weston, Massachusetts.
The Cardinal Spellman Philatelic Society is formed and sponsors monthly meetings, a lecture series, courses in philately, and a newsletter.
1960 The Cardinal Spellman Philatelic Museum receives its certificate of incorporation as an
independent, not-for-profit, educational organization. The museum brings together the Cardinal Spellman
Collection and the collection of the National Philatelic Museum in Philadelphia. The first officers of
the corporation are: Francis Cardinal Spellman, President; Bishop John Maguire of New York, Monsignor
Laurence Killian of Boston, and Bernard Davis of Philadelphia, Vice Presidents; S. Fidelma Conway, Secretary,
Treasurer, and Executive Director.
1961 Groundbreaking for the Museum Building takes place on the campus of Regis College.
1963 The dedication of the Cardinal Spellman Philatelic Museum is attended by 1,500 people. The Honorable J. Edward Day, Postmaster General of the United States, gives the main address. Cardinal Spellman announces that the building has been paid for through a gift from the estate of Mable Gilman Corey of New York City and recognizes the donation of land for the building from Regis College as well as the donation of the Spellman Collection. Others who attend include: D. Thomas Clements, Chief of the United Nations Postal Administration; James A. Farley, former Postmaster General of the United States; Doctor Hans Steinmetz, State Secretary of
the Posts and Telecommunications of the Federal Republic of Germany; and Edward M. Dickson, Chairman of the Weston Board of Selectmen.
1967 Francis Cardinal Spellman dies in New York City.
June 6, 1970 Founders Day. One hundred Founder Members are honored with a plaque in the lobby for their contributions to the Founders Endowment Fund.
1971 The Cardinal Spellman Philatelic Museum is accredited by the American Association of Museums.
April 1972 General Matthew B. Ridgway donates an extensive cover collection. General Ridgway was a close friend of Cardinal Spellman.
December 2, 1972 Ribbon cutting ceremony for the Cardinal Spellman Museum's Post Office and General Store with the look of Early New England.
Open even on Sundays, the post office offers a wide variety of stamp collecting equipment and stamps from here and abroad.
January 1973 Lucius Jackson, publisher of the Stamp Wholesaler, donates his philatelic library of over 600 volumes to
the Cardinal Spellman Philatelic Museum.
June 1, 1976 William G. Field replaces Sister Fidelma Conway as Executive Director.
March 19-20,1977 CSPM's first annual Literature Fair was held to raise funds for the Museum's Library.
June 11, 1979 Russell W. Dillaway named Executive Director.
January 1980 Dwight D. Eisenhower collection is on display.
February 17,1980 Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis visits the Museum and views the exhibition of President Kennedy stamps.
November 1982 The American Association of Museums reaccredits the Museum. "This museum is a model."
To be continued